The American Cancer Society just launched a Choose You movement which encourages women to put their own health first in the fight against cancer.
According to the American Cancer Society, about half of all cancer deaths could be prevented if people maintained a healthy weight through diet and regular exercise; avoided tobacco products; and got recommended cancer screening tests. As busy moms know, it’s not always easy to incorporate these healthy behaviors into a busy lifestyle! In fact, a new national survey of approximately 2,000 women ages 25-64 revealed that they are so busy being caretakers of others, they have little time to take care of their own health.
From the Choose You website:
The Choose You Movement shines a light on a hidden issue: that while one in three American women will get cancer in her lifetime, about 50% of cancer deaths could be prevented if more emphasis were placed on early detection and healthier lifestyles including maintaining a healthy weight through diet and exercise and avoiding tobacco.
In the constant struggle between family, work and self, we know how difficult it is to focus on oneself. To help change this, American Cancer Society has developed the Choose You Commitment. Powered by stickK, this online program provides tools and support to enable women to commit to and achieve their personal health and wellness goals. Research shows that individuals who receive support in making positive choices are up to 5 times more likely to maintain healthy habits. The Choose You Commitment provides this support.
By making a Choose You Commitment today, you are helping to change the focus and make personal health a priority — and helping in the fight against cancer.
About the American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society combines an unyielding passion with nearly a century of experience to save lives and end suffering from cancer. As a global grassroots force of more than three million volunteers, we fight for every birthday threatened by every cancer in every community. We save lives by helping people stay well by preventing cancer or detecting it early; helping people get well by being there for them during and after a cancer diagnosis; by finding cures through investment in groundbreaking discovery; and by fighting back by rallying lawmakers to pass laws to defeat cancer and by rallying communities worldwide to join the fight. As the nation’s largest non-governmental investor in cancer research, contributing about $3.4 billion, we turn what we know about cancer into what we do. As a result, about 11 million people in America who have had cancer and countless more who have avoided it will be celebrating birthdays this year. To learn more about us or to get help, call us any time, day or night, at 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
A Choose You Healthy Lifestyle Prize Pack:
- $10 Walgreen's Gift Card
- Karin’s Garden - Turquoise Leather Petite Flower with Crystals Pin/Clip Duo
- Neutrogena Age Shield + Repair SPF 55 Sunblock
- Choose You Ladies Tee
- Choose You Stainless Water Bottle
- Choose You Enamel Flower Lapel Pin
- Choose You & Sprite Zero ball point pens
- Sprite Zero $1.00 off coupons
Donna C. said...
May 27, 2010 7:25 AM
I eat healthy, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies. I need to improve my exercise habits. I do well for a few days than slack off. It is really hard to get started again.
Answer ONE of the following questions:
- How do you maintain a healthy lifestyle?
- What tips can you offer to maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle?
- Which healthy habit do you most want to adopt right now? (i.e. Eat right, get fit, stop smoking, protect your skin, get regular health checks)
To receive these extra entries, you must do the MANDATORY entry.
- Follow Us on Twitter & Tweet about the contest.
- Add Life In A House Of Blue Button to your blog (See sidebar)
- Add Life In A House Of Blue to your Blogroll
- Follow My Blog- Google Friend Connect (See Footer)
- Subscribe to Life In A House Of Blue via e-mail. (See sidebar)
- "LIKE" Life In A House Of Blue on Facebook (See Footer)
- Tweet about the contest (be sure to leave the tweet link)
- Leave a comment on another post besides this one ( leave link to comment )